Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] ADSL, SWBell & Linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] ADSL, SWBell & Linux
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:34:48 -0600 (CST)

I've decided to replace my dedicated modem ($180/mo) with ADSL
service.  swbell.net offers this service for $79/mo with 5 static
IP's.  (I only get one with the modem through SouthWind.)  I was waiting
on SouthWind to make ADSL available, but I'm hearing that their pricing on
"dedicated" service is going to run much higher than swbell.net's
pricing.  (Like in the range of my dedicated modem.)

I know that Goerzen has service through SWBell in Dallas.  Does anybody
else use a Linux box with ADSL here in Wichita?  Are there any things I
should be concerned about regarding Linux, or can I just have SWBell
install the line without any concern for what I'm planning to hook it up
to?

Is anybody using swbell.net as a service provider in Wichita?  How do you
like their service?  Do you know how well connected they are, whether they
experience a high number of outages, etc?

I dislike leaving SouthWind, but this $180 a month is killing me when my
friends are getting blazing speeds for $40.  I've got the dedicated modem
to run a mailing list server off of, and really the modem is doing fine
handling the traffic from the server, but for my personal surfing I'd
really like the faster connection *and* the much lower price.  I'm just
nervous about moving from a provider I've trusted for 5+ years to SWBell.
I'd like to hear that folks are happy with SWBell before I go pay a $300
setup charge to switch to them.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
I buy you sigs, and I buy you sigs, but all you do is eat the bits!