Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: ADSL, SWBell & Linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ADSL, SWBell & Linux
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:59:53 -0600

Well, I can answer part of your question. I am using ADSL with my
Linux system and it is working very nicely. I am somewhat lucky I
guess in that I get pretty much 100% of the max bandwidth for the low
capacity service. I am using a 486DX266 as router box and that handles
things just fine. I put two NICs in the machine. One connects to my
hub and the rest of my machines, and the other connects to the ADSL
modem. The only problem that I had was getting the service installed
by SWBell. I guarantee that I have a worse horror story than John
Goerzen in that respect :-)

However, I am not using SWBell for Internet connectivity. I am using
SouthWind. I am one of a couple employees who have it
now. Unfortunately, I can not speak to pricing and scheduling for
getting ADSL service through SouthWind. I am just the technical guy
who makes it work. It does work. I am told that things are close to
ready to roll out, but I've been told that before. I'm not even going
to attempt a guess at this point.