Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: ADSL, SWBell & Linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ADSL, SWBell & Linux
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:58:53 -0600

Currently SWB will only support Windows installs.. but that does not mean
that if you do all the hardware and software installs that things will not
work... for a while I had a LINUX box connected to my home Win'98SE network
and was able to surf the net with the basic 'Netscape' install with no 'DSL'
related troubles (troubles that I was having were all missing plug ins, ect)

As far as 'service brown outs' I have not had any in close to four months of
service!!

The only true trouble that I have had was due to the follow things...

(1) another tech was working on a line at another house and some how
disconnected my service at a junction box... fixed in less than 24 hours.

(2) the ASDL modem locked up on me and to be cold booted.

(3) some times the email / newsgroup services has had troubles [fixed in
less than eight hours].. but even when these services were being repaired I
was still able to surf the net with no troubles!

I can now fully see that it is not my connection where things are slow.. but
file downloads and 'REAL AUDIO' are great!  Last week I was connected to one
'Real Video' site while my wife was also connected to another 'Real Audio'
site and both feeds were clean and static free...