Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: cd-r on limited budget...

To: gLaNDix <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: cd-r on limited budget...
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:40:57 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, gLaNDix wrote:

> ok, i'll remember that...  trying to keep my addictions to a minimum (i
> can skip e-mail for a day...   i know i can...  i don't have a problem!  :
> ^ )

I can skip email for whole weekends, but then it takes me an hour when I
get back to get caught up.

> right now, eBay is a bit confusing and overwhelming, but it's something

ebay is really simple, signup up, and bid the maximum you would pay for
the item. Ebay will keep track of it, but only actually bid the amount
needed, to beat the current maximum bid (if it does), when others bid, if
their bid beats your maximum, they become the higher bidder,
if not your actual bid is bumped to just exceed theirs, also you don't
know their maximum, and they don't know yours ie:

An item is selling with a bid of $75
That bidders maximum is $85 (but you don't know that info)
You bid $100
your actual bid is $86
someone comes and bids $90
your bid is bumped to $91
someone else bids $105
you are outbid, and they win with the current bid of $101

the other important thing is to check feedback, people doing past
transaction with the current seller post their opinion of them, the higher
the feedback, the more reliable they are.

> i've wanted to get into for a while now, ever since a friend of mine was
> featured on the wichita news because he bought a nice Mac from eBay...

Slow news day?

My best purchase was 64 megs of laptop memory for $70 (gateway had it for
like $300)

> jesse
>
> "If we don't stand up to Micro$oft, who will?"
>      - The Boycott Micro$oft Web Page
>
> http://www.boycott-ms.org/
>
> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 Kurgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Hello gLaNDix,
> >
> > Sunday, November 28, 1999, 11:37:17 PM, you wrote:
> >
> > g> do you have to have a credit card to buy from eBay?  i would prefer to
> > buy
> > g> from a place you can use a check, as i don't have a credit card...
> >
> >   Nope. It's up to whomever is auctioning the item, and it will say
> >   preferred methods on the items page. With items like cdrs you should
> >   just stick to the "going going gone" section because that's when
> >   everyone hit's them. I buy there a lot now (thanks to Clint for
> >   showing it to me) and I don't do plastic either. Fair warning
> >   though, eBay is addictive as hell.
> >

> > Kurgan                         mailto:Kurgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
Dictator-for-Life Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
Please, you have to let me log on! Just one piece of e-mail!  I won't
play Minesweeper! I promise! Don't you people care?!?! No one asked me
where I want to go today!!!
                                        -- Greg
User Friendly, 3/14/1998