Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: cd-r on limited budget...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: cd-r on limited budget...
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 01:57:36 -0600

That depends on who you buy from.

eBay doesn't actually sell anything.  They just list items for other people.
In most cases you're buying from an individual, so credit cards are not even
an option.  You also have a higher risk on eBay than on Pricewatch (and a
higher risk on pricewatch than from Best Buy).

You might also check Usenet (misc.forsale.computer.storage, for one).  But
then usenet probably has the highest risk of all these listed methods.

By risk I mean, there's a chance the person you're buying from is not honest
and won't send you what you paid for.

I've bought numerous things over Usenet, eBay, Pricewatch, and Best Buy.
I've fortunately never been ripped off by Usenet or eBay.  I have had a few
skirmishes on pricewatch, but I won those (got my CC company to give my
money back).  On Pricewatch, one company sold me a defective CPU (Never
never ever buy from Accubyte!).  The other situation was where the company
went "out of business" right afer I placed my order--web site gone, phone #
disconnected, the whole nine yards.  I got my $ back in both cases, but it
was a hassle.  If you're shopping on Pricewatch, one company I CAN recommend
is AccessMicro/McGlenn Micro (both the same company--I've purchased many
things from them, they have a nice no-questions-asked return policy).

If you find a drive you're looking for on PriceWatch, let me know who's
selling it--I can let you know of my experience (if any) with that company,
as I've ordered from probably close to a dozen companies on Pricewatch.

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 11:37:17PM -0600, gLaNDix wrote:
> do you have to have a credit card to buy from eBay?  i would prefer to buy
> from a place you can use a check, as i don't have a credit card...
>
> jesse
>
> "If we don't stand up to Micro$oft, who will?"
>      - The Boycott Micro$oft Web Page
>
> http://www.boycott-ms.org/
>
> On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, The Kurgan wrote:
>
> > Hello gLaNDix,
> >
> >   Try eBay. I bought mine there pretty cheap. www.ebay.com
> >

> > Kurgan                         mailto:Kurgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
                  -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux  =-