Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Moving Harddrives Between Computers + Linux on Compaq

To: <dec29111@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Moving Harddrives Between Computers + Linux on Compaq
From: "David Carmichael" <dec29111@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 03:45:21 -0500

(1) Does anybody here have any luck on moving a harddrive fully loaded with
Win'98SE your software from one computer system to an other. The hardware is
totally different.

I got one of those 'FREE PC's (www.shopss.com [if you sign up tell them that
I sent you, if I get five people to sign up I will get a $300 credit]) and
want to move my current software laden harddrive to this system, Intel
233mhzMMX to Intel Celeron 400mhz system.

This new system uses a fully integrated 'WINDOWS' motherboard (PcWare
M741LMRT)....

Or would it be better for me to just install the software that I use on the
new system?

(2) I have an older AMD5x86 system that I have been trying to install Linux
on and now that I have a newer computer my wife wants me to give up this
system and give it to her sister... So the computer that I will be trying to
install Linux on a 100mhz Compaq DeskPro Desktop system which currently has
its BIOS utility stored on its boot sector.
This DeskPro has integrated LAN & VIDEO.
The other systems that I have are too much Windows 95/98 integrated hardware
(AKA: currently no device drivers for Linux)

--David
Please reply to following email address:
mailto: dec29111@xxxxxxxxxxxxx