Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Moving Harddrives Between Computers + Linux on Compaq

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Moving Harddrives Between Computers + Linux on Compaq
From: "David Carmichael" <dec29111@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 13:46:18 -0500

I have moved Win'95/98 between harddrives with no trouble, but I have never
moved it between different motherboards.

I tried to install Linux on my Compaq when I first got it, but the BIOS
utility on the boot drive kept getting in the way.. but somebody else told
me that once I had the hardware set in BIOS I could write over this sector
of the harddrive and or create a BIOS disk.. but I have not had any luck on
creating this disk, because the disk that I end up creating keeps wanting to
write itself back to the harddrive after I have installed LINUX and LILO.
Does anybody know if a program like PARTATION MAGIC (like packaged with
MANDRAKE 6.5) will allow for this utility??

DECarmichael