Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Newbie's Modem Installtion problem

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Newbie's Modem Installtion problem
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 06:25:01 -0500

ccwoo wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to Linux and just got a copy of RedHat 6.0 up and running recently.
> However, I can't do much with Linux without internet connection.  I've been
> having problem to have my modem up and running.
> I suspect my os can't even talk to the modem, how do i know if my modem is
> properly set up ? If so, how do i configure Linux to connect to the ISP ? I
> tried minicom but didn't know how to use it...shame.
>
> My modem's model :  ISA pnp 56k USR voice internal v90.
>
> I've already disabled pnp with jumper settings and the modem works fine under
> win98.  But in Linux, i can't even get it to dial when i tried to activate it
> using netconfig in Control Panel.

Look at /var/log/bootlog.  See what Linux thinks of the modem while it is
booting.  This will really give you a picture of what is up.  Your latest boot
will be at the end of the file. try : tail -100
/var/log/bootlog | more.   Or, you can use emacs /var/log/bootlog    and scroll
down to the bottom.

Mike