Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Newbie's Modem Installtion problem

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Newbie's Modem Installtion problem
From: "ccwoo" <webexplorer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 23:38:20 -0500

Hello everyone,

I am new to Linux and just got a copy of RedHat 6.0 up and running recently.
However, I can't do much with Linux without internet connection.  I've been
having problem to have my modem up and running.
I suspect my os can't even talk to the modem, how do i know if my modem is
properly set up ? If so, how do i configure Linux to connect to the ISP ? I
tried minicom but didn't know how to use it...shame.

My modem's model :  ISA pnp 56k USR voice internal v90.

I've already disabled pnp with jumper settings and the modem works fine under
win98.  But in Linux, i can't even get it to dial when i tried to activate it
using netconfig in Control Panel.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

chen