Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
RE: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:41:34 -0600 (CST)

You don't have to pay for a Linux distribution to avoid compiling all your
programs.  I use Debian Linux, and it's free, and comes with a plethora of
precompiled programs (about 3 times as many as Red Hat does, by the way).

As far as what business practices I don't agree with... I answered that
largely in the mail I just sent to the list about 5 minutes ago.  But in a
nutshell, I don't like that they contract with other companies to do
development.  I think it's GREAT that other companies are doing
development, but I don't think it's in anyone's best interest for them to
contract with a specific Linux distribution developer.  And by signing
those contracts, I think Red Hat is demonstrating a high profit motive,
rather than a humanitarian motive (they are a commercial entity, you can't
completely blame them).

I guess, as far as a company goes, Red Hat isn't bad.  I just don't like
the idea of commercially developed Linux distributions.  I would have the
same complaints about Caldera OpenLinux, etc... they just aren't as big,
so haven't had as many other companies offer to sign cooperative
development contracts with them....