Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
RE: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves
From: John Alexander <john.alexander@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:08:14 -0600

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I'm just paying them for the time that I will
save myself in having to go out and find the Alpha versions of the
applications, the time spent waiting on downloads, the time spent getting the
packages on which the application I want to try depends, the time spent
troubleshooting Makefiles because the author has a different setup than mine,
and the time spent compiling the application to even see if I like it. Don't
get me wrong, I love the fact that there is a free alternative to the M$
collective, but I don't have all the free time that I would like to have to
putter around with Linux. In exchange for more time, I gladly surrender 40
crisp bones, and try all the stuff on the CD. When (not if) I find something I
can't live without, then I will go get (and compile) new versions as they
become available. To what specific business practices do you not agree?

JA