Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Mar 1999 21:09:21 -0600

Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> As far as what business practices I don't agree with... I answered that
> largely in the mail I just sent to the list about 5 minutes ago.  But in a
> nutshell, I don't like that they contract with other companies to do
> development.  I think it's GREAT that other companies are doing

For instance?

> development, but I don't think it's in anyone's best interest for them to
> contract with a specific Linux distribution developer.  And by signing
> those contracts, I think Red Hat is demonstrating a high profit motive,
> rather than a humanitarian motive (they are a commercial entity, you can't
> completely blame them).

I do hold them responsible for a number of things, but not the same
things you are identifying, I guess.

> I guess, as far as a company goes, Red Hat isn't bad.  I just don't like
> the idea of commercially developed Linux distributions.  I would have the
> same complaints about Caldera OpenLinux, etc... they just aren't as big,
> so haven't had as many other companies offer to sign cooperative
> development contracts with them....

Caldera is FAR more insidious in many respects.  They systematically
violate GPL and other licenses, for instance.

What's wrong with a company developing it?  You do realize that a
number of companies help Debian with development, right?  If they're
writing GPL software, what's the matter?