Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:38:22 -0600

Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I refuse to support RedHat softwrae.  I don't agree with their business
> practices.  $40 to support Linux seems backwards, since Linux's philosophy
> is based entirely on FREE software.
>
> Paying for free software suports non-free software... it's bass ackwards
> if you ask me.

The GNU (and later, Linux) notion of Free Software has nothing to do
with cost.  Rather, what this refers to is freedom.  Freedom to add
your own features.  Freedom to make your own programs based on
existing code.  Freedom to find out how something works.  Freedom to
let your neighbour use the same program that you do.

This doesn't refer to cost.  The Free Software Foundation themselves,
for instance, sell GNU tapes and CDs at quite a heavy markup.  The
reason: this is how the FSF is financed.  They develop things like the
C library, gcc, g++, gpc, emacs, and many, many other programs.  They
have some staff programmers, and some staff employees, etc.  This is
an important way that they get funding.

Many people consider donating money to the FSF or SPI in the same
amount as they may have paid had they had to purchase non-free
software.