Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Cable Modems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Cable Modems
From: Mohammad Islam <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:36:39 -0600

Bob Deep wrote:

> Todd_Lundstedt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > This sounds like a good idea, but why should they care how much bandwidth a
> > particular "house" is using (man, I will probably get slammed for that
> > statement)?.  Anyway... the info at http://www.mmckansas.com indicates
> > cable modem speeds of (upto) 42Mbs, however,
> > Comments?  (please be gentle).
>
> If you use the full 10BT link, you are really flying!  That's better
> than a T1 I think...
>
> Upon close reading of the advertisments... You get to share the 42Mbs
> with everybody on your segment, so as they get more and more subscribers
> online, the available bandwidth will drop accordingly.  So just 5 folks
> running at 10Mbs will swamp the carrier you are assinged.

That is exactly my thought. Now say if about 10 ppl in my apt building
are on that same 10bT segment and using the wire to upload/download..
that definitely going to congest the wire and probably won't be very
fast than a modem.

Also if i have cable modem, i will be on the same segment as lots of ppl
in my neighbourhood..and who knows may be one of then is sitting with a
packet sniffer/decoder...call me paranoid but that concerns me a little.

Definitely needs to think about it more.

> Somebody call Multimedia and offer them a "linux" version of support,
> where we do the installs and technical support for a reduced install
> price, and 10% off their normal rate.  ACLUG could then offer it's
> members a cheaper rate on high speed access for providing the technical
> support for Linux.

Great idea. One more way to promote the power of linux and getting
benefit of using it over winblows.

Happy holidays.

Regards,

sohel