Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PPProblems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PPProblems
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 16:35:58 -0500

At 10:10 PM 9/17/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Steven Saner wrote:
>>
>> Try adding the following into your /etc/ppp/options file:
>>
>> -ipx-protocol           This will disable IPX
>> debug                   This will make more debugging info show up in
>>                         the logs.
>>
>> I don't know how to disable Appletalk if that is really trying to be
>> configured, short of not having it compiled in the kernel. Does anyone
>> else know?

When I did this it returned an error to the effect that the instruction
was illegal. The debug instruction does indeed send alot more stuff to
log, once I commented out the -ipx-protocol instruction.

>>From my /etc/modules.conf:
>
>alias net-pf-4         off     # ipx not in use
>alias net-pf-5         off     # appletalk not used
>
>Of course if ipx and appletalk aren't modules, this won't help...
>
>Here's a few more aliases in /etc/modules.conf I've come to use over the
>past year and a half:
>
>alias tty-ldisc-6      ppp
>alias char-major-4     serial
>alias char-major-5     serial
>alias ppp-compress-21  bsd_comp
>alias ppp-compress-24  bsd_comp
>

>This is all for 2.0.33 modules.

My machine, running Red Hat 5.1 has no modules.conf file. It does have
a conf.modules file, but it is empty.

>Finally, is your kernel compiled with TCP/IP networking support?  I'd
>almost guess not based on the lack of a ppp0 interface.  Do "make
>menuconfig" in your linux kernel source directory.  This way you'll get
>an ncurses menu interface to check and change your kernel compile
>options.
>
>While the specifics won't apply to Southwind, you can look at my page
>for some PPP ideas over here:
>
>http://homepage.netspaceonline.com/~ka0rny/linux/linux_ppp.html
>
>Don't worry, we won't let you fail!
>
>- Nate >>