Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PPProblems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PPProblems
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 12:23:40 -0500

On Thu, Sep 17, 1998 at 10:10:11PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> >From my /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias net-pf-4                off     # ipx not in use
> alias net-pf-5                off     # appletalk not used
>
> Of course if ipx and appletalk aren't modules, this won't help...
>
> Here's a few more aliases in /etc/modules.conf I've come to use over the
> past year and a half:
>
> alias tty-ldisc-6     ppp
> alias char-major-4    serial
> alias char-major-5    serial
> alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
> alias ppp-compress-24 bsd_comp

When I boot one of my machines I get the following:

<date/time> modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10

I assume that I need an alias for this in my modules.conf file as
well, but I don't know what to alias it to.

alias char-major-10     ?

Does anyone one know? If I understand correctly, this is related to a
character device with a major number of 10. I looked in /dev and there
are a number of character devices with the major number of 10.

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Technical Support
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963