Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PPProblems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PPProblems
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:17:30 -0500

At 04:51 PM 9/17/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>When you did the ifconfig, were you connected? That is, had the modem
>dialed and seemingly connected? If not, then you might want to try
>these things after establishing the physical connection. If so, my

The reports below are what I get whether connected or not.

>first thought would be to see if you have PPP support compiled into
>the kernel or available as a kernel module. If it is a kernel module,
>which is fairly likely, you need to either have kerneld running so
>that the module loads automatically, or you need to load it by hand
>with the command modprobe ppp.

According to the /var/log/messages there are several lines mentioning
PPP. The last is: (all lines start with the date, time and 'localhost')

kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
                                                                then
kernel: registered device ppp0
                                                                then
pppd[446]: pppd 2.3.3 started by root, uid0

After that it goes into the chat routine and after connectiong, back to

pppd[446]: Serial connection established.
pppd[446]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[446]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS3

Then it goes on to envoke IPX and Appletalk. Then it apparently times
out and hangs up.

The above leads me to believe that the ppp module is in the kernel,
or starting as it should. Is that correct?

>Another thing, look at your log files in /var/log to see if you find
>anything. I'm not sure how your log files will be arranged in your
>distribution. Look for one called ppp or messages.
>
>Anybody else have some ideas?
>
>> >You can tell if the problem is related to a DNS lookup thing or a
>> >network thing by pinging an IP address rather than a host name. Once
>> >the connect seems to be established, type: ping 206.53.103.2 and see
>> >if you get a response. If so then double check the entries in
>> >/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/host.conf.
>>
>> /etc/resolv.conf is correct according to the instructions given. I don't
>> know what should be in /etc/host.conf but it presently contains
>>
>> order hosts, bind
>> multi on
>>
>> >If you get no response from the ping, then you have some other
>> >problem. From root, type ifconfig. Make sure that you get an entry for
>> >your ppp interface. It should look something like this:
>> >
>> >ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>> >          inet addr:206.53.100.237  P-t-P:206.53.100.251
Mask:255.255.255.0
>> >          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>> >          RX packets:128 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>> >          TX packets:166 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0
>>
>> What I get is
>>
>> lo   Link encap:Local Loopback
>>      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
>>      UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3584 Metric:1
>>      RX packets:80 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>>      TX packets:80 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>>
>> That doesn't appear to be a PPP interface. How do I fix this?
>>
>> >Then type netstat -r. It should look something like this:
>> >
>> >Kernel IP routing table
>> >Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window irtt
Iface