Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PPProblems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PPProblems
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:07:32 -0500

At 05:58 PM 9/15/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 05:10:00PM -0500, Wayne White wrote:
>> Well, I've tried everything I can think of to get connected
>> to Southwind without success, so, I come here looking for
>> help.
>>
>> After following the instructions on the ACLUG site, when I
>> envoke the command 'pppd ttyS3 115200' the computer dials
>> SW, there is some screaching back and forth, and it enters
>> into a state of apparent connection. However, it is not
>> possible to do anything through the connection. Attempts to
>> connect to anyplace on the net results in error messages
>> of 'Unknown host' or 'Network is unreachable' or 'Host
>> name lookup failure'. I've double checked the pap-secrets,
>> options, and southwind.chat files and they are as the
>> instructions indicate they should be. I realize it's
>> probably something I'm overlooking, but what? Oh, and the
>> /etc/resolv.conf file has the two nameservers in it per
>> the instructions.
>>
>> Thanx for the help,
>>
>> Wayne
>>

>Wayne:
>
>Here are some ideas.
>
>You can tell if the problem is related to a DNS lookup thing or a
>network thing by pinging an IP address rather than a host name. Once
>the connect seems to be established, type: ping 206.53.103.2 and see
>if you get a response. If so then double check the entries in
>/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/host.conf.

/etc/resolv.conf is correct according to the instructions given. I don't
know what should be in /etc/host.conf but it presently contains

order hosts, bind
multi on

>If you get no response from the ping, then you have some other
>problem. From root, type ifconfig. Make sure that you get an entry for
>your ppp interface. It should look something like this:
>
>ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>          inet addr:206.53.100.237  P-t-P:206.53.100.251 Mask:255.255.255.0
>          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:128 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:166 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

What I get is

lo      Link encap:Local Loopback
        inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
        UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3584 Metric:1
        RX packets:80 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
        TX packets:80 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

That doesn't appear to be a PPP interface. How do I fix this?

>Then type netstat -r. It should look something like this:
>
>Kernel IP routing table
>Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window irtt Iface
>ts2.southwind.n *               255.255.255.255 UH     1500 0        0 ppp0
>loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U      3584 0        0 lo
>default         ts2.southwind.n 0.0.0.0         UG     1500 0        0 ppp0

When I run netstat -r I get

Kernel IP routing table
Destination             Gateway Genmask Flags           MSS Window  irtt Iface
127.0.0.0               *               255.0.0.0       u            3584 0
        0    lo

Here again, it appears that I'm missing the ppp info. What should put this
info there, or is it a file that needs editing?

>Make sure that there is a default route. If not, make sure that
>defaultroute is included in the /etc/ppp/options files.

The third line of /etc/ppp/options reads

defaultroute

I think that's what you mean, so I'm OK there.