Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PPProblems

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PPProblems
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 21:01:25 -0500

Wayne White wrote:

> When I do this I get the message that there is no 'make' command.
> What's up with that?

Wayne,

It sounds like the development packages haven't been installed yet.
"make" is a program that interprets a script file of Makefile
(customized and distributed with each program's source tree) and runs
gcc (the GNU C Compiler) and other development utilities used to create
programs in the C language.  This set of programs is also used to
compile a new kernel.  Why is compiling a custom kernel useful?  You get
to choose what hardware and features the kernel supports on your
system.  This often results in a smaller kernel and a bit smaller memory
requirement.  Since I believe you are running Redhat 5.1, I'm unable to
offer help on how you go about installing the development tools.

One thing is sure, as you grow with Linux the development tools will
become a necessity.

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | KA0RNY @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM     | "Thesaurus: A great