Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Info Request

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Info Request
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:13:09 -0500

Jeremy S Johnstone wrote:

> I just happen to be working on just such an application now. I have a
> friend/customer who is paying me to implement just such an idea. The
> progress has been going slowly, but I do have working programs for audio,
> and I am working on a car alarm at the moment (just started actually). He
> is eventually wanting to be able to have the following features:

> Remote control driving           (way... way... off)

I've seen an application that could stear the car (or a van in this
case) using a video camera for eyes.  It seemed to work quite well in
the report I saw...  The only complaint was that the Sparc Solaris box
had a bad habit of panicing now and then.  Seems they where pressing the
box a bit too much...

Not quite remote control, but I'm not sure I would want a car loose on
the road w/o someone strapped in who could take over during a hardware
failure...

BTW...

You need to strap a GPS receiver to the box... Then you could provide
the moving map display (or driving directions).  You could also make it
possible to track down that stolen car via the dial up line (Or if you
are a bank with a lean on the car, you can dis-able the car until the
payments are made, and know where to go with the tow truck to get it..)
or keep track of where the kids actually *are* without them knowing.

Rental cars could also use these features too...

I'm sure there are a lot more ideas out there...

-= bob =-