Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Info Request

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Info Request
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 08:17:14 -0500

At 11:04 PM 9/14/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>I would like to get a feel for the users who regulary post to this
>maillist and I'm sure a few others would as well, so I created this simple
>little survey. Obviously, you don't have to fill it out but I give thanks
>to all who do because it lets everyone know your strengths (and weakness).
>
>Name:
>First ver. of linux used (kernel version): 2.0.34
>First release used (distribution):  Red Hat 5.1
>Favorite release:  Red Hat 5.1 (only release, so far)
>Current ver and release:  Red Hat 5.1 - 2.0.34
>Most used linux machine specs:  486DX66, 32Meg RAM, 800Meg HD
>Projects you have worked on / developed for linux:  None, so far - just
learning Linux
>your linux "specialties": I can boot it up pretty well:-)
>favorite linux site:  ACLUG, Red Hat, Linux International, usenet Linux lists
>current needs/interests for linux:  To get a ppp connection working
>ideas for linux improvement:  A manual with simple instructions on Linux
for first timers
>anything else you can think of:  With only three or four weeks with a
Linux box I have a
        long row to hoe in learning about Linux. It gets pretty frustrating at
times, but
        the little victories (getting modem to work; creating, moving & editing
files; getting
        X configured; etc.) keep me going back for more. It is also very
encouraging/helpful
        to get so much help from those experienced users on this ACLUG list. I
think it is
        that sort of participation that will be the difference in Linux
becoming a
challenger
        to MS. Newbies, like me, will need all of the encouragement/support they
can get to
        use Linux. Coming from a DOS/Windows only background, I can tell you
that
there is
        a serious learning curve to Linux. I enjoy the challange of learning
Linux, but not
        everyone will.

>Thanks in advance,
>Jeremy

 OK, Jeremy, there you have it. Not many strengths and plenty of
weaknesses. The two
strengths I've got going for me are a fair mind and the desire to wrestle
Linus into
submission. Those, and the help I get here, should see me though.

L8R

Wayne