Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Info Request

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Info Request
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Sep 1998 19:35:12 -0500

JOHNSTONE JEREMY S  <jsjohnst@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Name:

See above :-)

> First ver. of linux used (kernel version):

I've used Linux extensively since kernel 2.0.0.  I tried it at kernel
1.2.x, but it was not yet what I needed, so I used FreeBSD at the
time, up until the release of Debian 1.1.

> First release used (distribution):

Debian GNU/Linux 1.1, the first release of Debian.  (There was no 1.0)

> Favorite release:

I like Debian because it has the most software and remains the most
current.

> Current ver and release:

I'm using Debian's slink and sid prereleases, that is, pre-release of
Debian 2.1 and unreleased development testing, respectively.

> Most used linux machine specs:

I've got three machines running Linux.

First is my workstation, a P166.  It's got 128 megs of RAM on a Tyan
motherboard, a 4.5 Gb 10,000 RPM Cheetah Ultra-Wide SCSI drive, a 4.5
Gb WD EIDE drive, 8 Mb ATI 3D Pro Turbo PC2TV video, NCR/Symbios
53c875 SCSI HBA, HP 6020i CD writer, Exabyte 7/14 GB tape drive, UMAX
1200S color flatbed scanner, HP Laserjet 6MP printer, 21" PanaSync E21
monitor, and a TrackMan Marble FX pointing device.  The horsepower is
a but low and I am running rather tight on disk space -- my current
plan is to get an Alpha when the new chip generation arrives, and add
a 9 or 18 gig Cheetah at that time.  This machine serves as
garfield.complete.org, complete.org, freeciv.complete.org,
www.complete.org, etc as well.

My router/firewall is a 486sx/25 with 16 megs of RAM running Linux.
It contains one 125 Mb and one 80 Mb IDE hard drive.  The ISDN
(128k/s) card is a Spellcaster DataCommute/Plus.  This machine also
serves as backups for various complete.org services, most notably
mail.  It's name is
external.plattemassenspeicher-groesstintegriertes.complete.org.

My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad 310ED.  It's a P133MMX with 48 megs of
RAM, 2MB of video RAM on a CT65550 chipset, OPL3SA sound *chip*, 1.6
Gb hard drive, 10x CD, and Linux, of course.  It's name is
alexanderwohl.complete.org.

> Projects you have worked on / developed for linux:

Hard to recall them all at the moment.  I'm a Debian developer,
maintaining some 23 packages.  I've written or helped with the
development of various programs.  I wrote an electronic assignment
submission system, which will be released under the GPL when I get
around to it.  This system is now used in the CS dept. at WSU.  I've
also written a printer accounting system for Linux.  I've written
various database programs and interfaces in Perl/Tk that talk to a
PostgreSQL database backend.

> your linux "specialties":

Programming, and especially tinkering.  I'm forever squeezing the last
bit of juice out Linux.  I do a lot of programming in C and Perl.  I
also do a good deal of HTML and m4 coding.

> favorite linux site:

www.aclug.org, of course :-)

Seriously, I don't really have a single favorite.

> current needs/interests for linux:

It's got everything I meed for my activities above.  Although I would
like to see a less-buggy replacement for tkirc.

> ideas for linux improvement:

Extent-mapped filesystems will be really cool in version 2.2, I
think.  Journaled filesystems are interesting as well, but of less use
for me.  The extent system would greatly speed up deleting those pesky
650 Mb CD images that I am constantly throwing about.

> anything else you can think of:

I am a command line addict.  My main reason for runing in X is to have
6 xterms working at once without any overlap :-)  I do use Netscape
and XEmacs, too, but they're sorta secondary.  I play a lot of
FreeCiv, so I'm glad for that, I guess.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |