Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Network Terminals

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Network Terminals
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 07:56:28 -0500

JOHNSTONE JEREMY S wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can find some X or character (preferrabley X)
> terminals cheap?

Well... Go out and buy a few 486 machines with decent video cards and
monitors and run linux on them... Just run X displays on them...  You
would only need a basic machine...  8 to 16 meg of ram, 100 Meg hard
drive, and some simple network cards.  You could even then off load the
main server a bit by running some of the lighter applications local on
the display host and using NFS to get the disk data arround...

It is the cheapest solution to X displays that I know of.  We run over
half of our development displays on Linux boxes, even though we are
doing most of our work for Solaris and our system Admin type insists we
all run CDE...

You could even skip the hard drives if you don't mind the system admin
work or paying for the right options on the network cards...

-= Bob =-