Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] help on PPP

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] help on PPP
From: Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 00:04:58 -0500 (CDT)

On 25 Aug 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> "Jesse Kaufman" <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > [1  <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> > yesterday, at the install fest... i had my cpu setup w/ RH linux 5.1 and
> > had PPP and SMB and other things setup.  how do i go about connecting w/
> > PPP ... it's supposedly setup for southwind, but i can't figure out how to
> > connect...  also, why does my computer hang (for 15+ min!) on the sendmail
> > then on the SMB when booting?  how can i not load them @ boot until i get
> > my network connection?
>
> OK, first a question: With the SouthWind setup, did you use NetCfg or
> did you use the "manual" method?  I can help you with the latter but
> you will have to refer to one of our RedHat buffs for the former.

hey ussed the ppp tool, all he should have to do is activate ppp from the
network tool, it should dial and connect. If this doesn't work. Trye the
method on the aclug homepage

> The trouble with Sendmail and SAMBA is that they are trying to do
> nameservice lookups when they start, but since your computer is not
> connected to the net at that instant, these lookups fail.  Eventually
> they timeout and realize that something isn't working like they expect
> and proceed to give up.

Well I remember helping him, and he is planning to hook-up his box with a
bunch of window boexes via thernet so he needs Samba, how does he set it
up

| The Cheez-Czar  http://www.cs.twsu.edu/~cabrubak     |