Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] help on PPP

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] help on PPP
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Aug 1998 22:51:23 -0500

"Jesse Kaufman" <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> yesterday, at the install fest... i had my cpu setup w/ RH linux 5.1 and had
> PPP and SMB and other things setup.  how do i go about connecting w/ PPP ...
> it's supposedly setup for southwind, but i can't figure out how to connect...
>  also, why does my computer hang (for 15+ min!) on the sendmail then on the
> SMB when booting?  how can i not load them @ boot until i get my network
> connection?

OK, first a question: With the SouthWind setup, did you use NetCfg or
did you use the "manual" method?  I can help you with the latter but
you will have to refer to one of our RedHat buffs for the former.

The trouble with Sendmail and SAMBA is that they are trying to do
nameservice lookups when they start, but since your computer is not
connected to the net at that instant, these lookups fail.  Eventually
they timeout and realize that something isn't working like they expect
and proceed to give up.

If you don't have Ethernet on your computer, you most likely don't
need Samba.  The same goes for Sendmail -- if you read your mail from
your ISP's pop box, it is easier by far to use the mail module in
Netscape Communicator.

If memory serves, you may remove these in RedHat be typing, as root:

rpm -e sendmail
rpm -e samba

Good luck!

--