Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
[aclug-L] Re: none

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: none
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Aug 1998 09:33:33 -0500

"Jesse Kaufman" <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> also, is it possible to connect to a network of windoze machines using the
> following protocols: NetBEUI, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, and the standard MS Client for
> Networks?  i would like to be able to access i'net through this like i did w/
> windoze, and access other's files (and share).  is this possible, or am i out
> of luck w/o windoze?
> ---

OK, a little clarification on the topic here.

MS Networking uses a protocol called Session Message Block or SMB.
This protocol works with the networking "stack".  That is, one can use
SMB with NetBEUI or TCP/IP.  The MS Client and MS Server can
understand this -- you just have to bind it to the TCP/IP protocol in
the Networking control panel, if I remember correctly.

Now then, Linux can of course speak TCP/IP, which is its "native"
networking protocol.  You can use a program called samba on Linux to
provide the SMB layer on top of TCP/IP.  While this does not
technically use NetBEUI/NetBIOS, it does use the MS networking and is
fully compatible with Windows machines.

Regarding the Netware (IPX/SPX) question, there are two things to
try.  First is the ncpfs or NCP utilities that can be found for free
with Linux.  Secondly, you can buy Netware for Linux from Caldera.  I
have (fortunately) never had to administer machines in a NetWare
network so I don't know much about either of these; and indeed, their
usefulness is diminishing these days since almost all Netware clients
are fully capable of interacting with Samba as well.

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |