Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Re: none

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Re: none
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:10:55 -0500 (CDT)

On 26 Aug 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> MS Networking uses a protocol called Session Message Block or SMB.
> This protocol works with the networking "stack".  That is, one can use
> SMB with NetBEUI or TCP/IP.  The MS Client and MS Server can
> understand this -- you just have to bind it to the TCP/IP protocol in
> the Networking control panel, if I remember correctly.

In WFWG/Win95 this binding is automatic. You just merely need to load the
TCP/IP protocol stack. In fact, there are few reasons to use anything
else. Win95 can share drives this way, but WFWG does not.

> Now then, Linux can of course speak TCP/IP, which is its "native"
> networking protocol.  You can use a program called samba on Linux to
> provide the SMB layer on top of TCP/IP.  While this does not
> technically use NetBEUI/NetBIOS, it does use the MS networking and is
> fully compatible with Windows machines.

Specifically this allows Windows machines to mount the exported unix file
system as if it were a native Windows file system.  Printer sharing is
also supported, as well as WINS Server emulation.  In fact, when properly
set up, the fact that it's even a UNIX file system is transparent to the
users...

Dale W Hodge
dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx  dwh@xxxxxxxx
www.dnd.ddns.org