Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
[aclug-L] Re: your mail

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: your mail
From: Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:59:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> can someone please help me out w/ setting up my Ensoniq AudioPCI?  i have
> altered the kernel (using make xconfig), but when i run "make zImage", it
> stops with an error...something about my linuxvm file...it can't write to it
> or something...  what am i doing wrong?
just be sure, you already did make dep; make clean; ?

Also as it said can't write make sure you are root.

try running it again accept this time before you make dep; type
script ~/kernel-log
this will make a file in roots home directory called kernel-log, which
will be all your typing and screen input after thet point.
then do make dep; make clean; make zImage;
after any erros pop-up press ctrl-d this will stop the log, mail that to
the list so we cqan get a better idea of what the error is.

> also, is it possible to connect to a network of windoze machines using the
> following protocols: NetBEUI, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, and the standard MS Client for
> Networks?  i would like to be able to access i'net through this like i did w/
> windoze, and access other's files (and share).  is this possible, or am i out
> of luck w/o windoze?

I think The answer is no, yes,yes,yes . (I know linux can use the last 3
protocols, not sure how to connect to a windows box with them)

the best to use is Samba which is the windows protcol, it will make the
windows machines think your a NT machine. I think you have to complie the
kernel for Samba, and get a package (which should be on your caldera cd)

I havn't had much experience myself, but I can point you where to look for
more.

If anyne else on the list has a better answer, or wants to expenad fell
free, I far from know everything about linux, just saw the message
unreplied to and thought i'd help :)

Cheez

| The Cheez-Czar  http://www.cs.twsu.edu/~cabrubak     |