Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: September 2009:
Future of this mailing list

To: offlineimap <offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:00:52 -0500

Hi folks,

has been unmaintained upstream for several years and is being dropped
from Debian.  I'm trying to get out of having to administer a mailing
list server myself anyhow, and am transitioning the lists I still host
here to other places.

This is the last list to be migrated.  All other lists have gone to
either Google Groups or the Mailman hosting at alioth.debian.org.

In all cases, what I do is make sure that the entire history of archives
are present at gmane.org.  Both the old list and the new one will
continue to be archived there.  And I'll issue HTTP permanent redirects
for each page on lists.complete.org to the appropriate page on gmane.
This allows seamless transition of archives.

What do people think of the Google Groups or Mailman on alioth options?
 Are there any strong feelings either way?

Google Groups has the advantage of having an integrated web forum, and
the disadvantage of less control over things.  I have found it to work
out rather well in my limited experience so far, with the exception that
it can take them a month to approve the import of an existing subscriber
list.  I feel more confident about getting help if anything breaks on
Alioth than from Google Groups, but I am fine with either option (or
another one, if anybody has it.)

An added benefit of the migration to either service is that it makes the
community less reliant on a single person to keep things running.