Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: September 2009:
Re: Future of this mailing list

To: Aaron Kaplan <lists2546@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, r7 <r7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Marc MERLIN <marc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:10:15 -0700

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 01:46:55PM +0200, Aaron Kaplan wrote:
> Also, if you got a subscriber list import approved after a month, you're
> lucky.  In my case they just rejected the request.  I had to import 100
> addresses by hand, a few at a time, and they won't even tell you how
> many "a few" is, but if you go over the secret limit then something bad
> happens.

Yeah, that's a problem with all massively hosted services, knowing which
lists to trust and which ones you can't.
I used to be lists.sf.net admin, and long story short, importing lists
is a problem when you run a large list server: either I made the user
unhappy or I put my butt on the line :-/

Going to a debian mailman obviously makes it a bit easier to find a list
admin who's willing to trust you.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 02:09:44PM +0200, r7 wrote:
> > I migrated a group to google groups in the past year, and ended up
> > not very happy with the choice.  For one thing, people have to create
> > a google account in order to subscribe themselves.
>
> a very strong +1 to that, even maybe a +2. though i don't contribute to
> this list in any other way than reader of others' posts. i won't sign up
> for a google account to follow.

Right. You can use any Email address, but in lieu of the lightweight
mailman account that effectively gets created for you when you
subscribe, you have to make a more standard account.
Thankfully it at least doesn't ask you for where you live or your pet's
names, but I can see how some folks would rather have a mailman pseudo
account than a google or yahoo account, even if it's only ever used to
authenticate for mail subscriptions.

Anyway, just because it would likely be hard to import the list, without
help from someone like me, sounds like going to debian mailman is
easier.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/