Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2009:
Re: Considering reverting imaplib2.py and IDLE support - need feedback

To: James Bunton <jamesbunton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mike Dawson <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Marc MERLIN <marc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Considering reverting imaplib2.py and IDLE support - need feedback
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:00:20 -0500

James Bunton wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:02:55AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Well then, I guess the question for James is: why did you bring in imaplib2?
>
> imaplib2 had the IDLE implementation, imaplib does not.

Ah, makes sense.

>> I can try ripping out imaplib2 and let all of you that use IDLE test it out.
>
> If these problems are indeed caused by imaplib2 it may be easier to
> implemenent the IDLE stuff in imaplib than to track it down.
> Alternatively if we know the source of the problem we could ask the
> imaplib2 author.
>
> I'll try to look into this a little more today.

Thanks much!  The source of the authentication issue is known and I have
a patch for it.  The hanging and crashing, I don't think is.

There have been several issues along the authentication lines that are
fairly obvious, which leads me to think that there aren't enough
eyeballs looking at imaplib2.py to exercise all the code paths.