Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2009:
This Mailing List

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:37:12 -0500

Hi folks,

While I'm thinking about hosting the project, I noticed today that
Ecartis, the mailing list software I run on complete.org, was dropped
from Debian in May and apparently hasn't had an upstream release since 2003.

After some checking, it looks like my two main options are to switch to
Mailman or to Google Groups.

I really hate my current archives on list.complete.org, which break all
threads at month boundaries and have no search engine.  Mailman's is no
better.

Google Groups is, and as a bonus provides a web-based forum-like
interface.  Personally I detest those, but I know there are many that
like 'em.

I'm thinking I'll do this:

1) Figure out why gmane.org doesn't have full archives of this list, and
make sure I get full archives there.  (Can't import archives into Google
Groups)

2) Migrate this list and the subscriber list to Google Groups, making
sure new posts from there are also archive on gmane.

Any thoughts?  Objections?  Suggestions?

Also, if anyone else would like to take over the mantle of "apparent
reluctant OfflineIMAP maintainer", this would make it even easier to do
so... hint hint... <grin>

I've got a 2-year-old and a 1-month-old at home, so my time to devote to
OfflineIMAP is decreasing just now.