Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2009:
Re: Considering reverting imaplib2.py and IDLE support - need feedback

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Considering reverting imaplib2.py and IDLE support - need feedback
From: Mike Dawson <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:58:10 +0430

Hi Folks,

I'm currently running an offlineimap syncing between 5 and 20 mailboxes
running on a server on our LAN - and a few times there is something that
crashes.  Sometimes this is not offlineimap's fault - the connection
goes down, someone changed their password etc.

The problem IMO is that as soon as one thing crashes normally the whole
process dies.  I am at the moment trying to apply the hacks that I made
to an older version to the git version to provide support for only
syncing the last x days of mail and for excluding messages above a
certain size.

After that I would be interested in making a patch to provide some
exception handling / logging - e.g. if copying message x has an
exception, log it, maybe even generate a message in the box being synced
about the error, and continue...

I think idle support is a really important thing to have and was
something that mail addicts really appreciate - I mean having to wait
for the sync to get your spam makes some people twitch.

Regards,

-Mike