Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2008:
Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail
From: Alejandro Jakubi <jakubi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:17:12 -0300

I have found a mention to logging in the section on interfaces of the manual
of offlineimap:

===
NONINTERACTIVE.BASIC
Noninteractive.Basic is designed for situations in which OffineIMAP will be
run non-attended and the status of its execution will be logged. You might
use it, for instance, to have the system run automatically and e-mail you the
results of the synchronization.This user interface is not capable of reading a
password from the keyboard; account passwords must be specified using one of
the configuration file options.
===

Apparently, there is a problem here. On the one hand, I need offlineimap to be
running in background in the departmental cluster. On the other hand, this
noninteractive interface requires to write both account passwords in the
configuration file, which is insecure in this case.

Is it not possible to run offlineimap in the background and make it prompt for
these passwords when it starts? (in fact this is the way that I have imapfilter
configured). Does it need python programming?

Also, is this one the default interface? Ie the interface used when not
specified in the configuration file or the command line.

Regards, Alejandro Jakubi