Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2008:
Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Alejandro Jakubi <jakubi@xxxxxxxxx>, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:00:05 -0500

On Thu May 15 2008 3:51:20 pm Alejandro Jakubi wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> > Yes.  You could perhaps use SSH keys to connect to your IMAP server.
>
> I do not have shell access to the departmental or fastmail imap servers,
> so I do not know how I could do that.
>
> > What does it mean to run it in the background but prompt for passwords
> > when it runs?
>
> I launch imapfilter on the command line, it prompts me the for the
> password of the departmental imap server, and after receiving it goes to
> the background.

That is not quite as practical for OfflineIMAP, since it may need to request
a password at any time.  Say you launch offlineimap and leave it running for
a month.  15 days after you launch it, you change your password on the IMAP
server.  A little later on, you move a whole bunch of mail, and offlineimap
wants to open another connection to the IMAP server for its multithreaded
support.  But the password you entered when you started it up no longer
works, so it needs to prompt you for a password.

Granted, this is a rare situation, but it exists.

However, patches to go into the background after reading the password would
be accepted.