Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2008:
Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail
From: Alejandro Jakubi <jakubi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:53:49 -0300

> Well, you would have to tell us what sort of names you have on the one
> account and what sort you have on fastmail.  General documentation for this
> is in offlineimap.conf.  See nametrans.

As explained, I have in the departamental imap server the INBOX, for whom the
entry in .pinerc has the form:

inbox-path={<imap-server>/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=<username>}INBOX

and the main collection of folders under /mail, for whom the entry has the
form:

folder-collections={<imap-server>/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=<username>}mail/[]

(in fact this latter entry has additional "local" folder collections on the
shell account)

I have not set up any particular folder structure in my fastmail account
yet. If possible, I would like to keep a similar structure as in my
departamental account.

What I read in offlineimap.conf is:

# You can specify a folder translator.  This must be a eval-able
# Python expression that takes a foldername arg and returns the new
# value.  I suggest a lambda.

I am not acquainted with the Python language. So, I need a detailed
explanation on how to write these translation rules (I guess one for INBOX and
one for the folders under main).

> It is not a special case.  If you delete a message on one system and
> imapfilter moves it on another, between a sync, you may find the message
> reappears in the new location.  I can't think of any other problem right
> now.

I hope so. Eg, when I have Pine/PCPine opened and imapfilter filters, Pine
produces an error message and closes its access to the imap server.

Alejandro Jakubi