Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2008:
backup and synchronize to fastmail

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: backup and synchronize to fastmail
From: Alejandro Jakubi <jakubi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:27:15 -0300

I want to backup and then synchronize the mbox folders of my account on the
departmental unix cluster to eg my fastmail account.

In my departmental account, the access to the inbox and the main folder
collection (under /mail) is made via imap. On this cluster I have also shell
account to some unix servers, with additional "local" folder collections. I
see that offlineimap is installed on these servers. I do not know exactly
which version (I do not see which is the command line option to get this
version), but as they run Fedora Core 6, I presume that this version of
offlineimap is 4.0.16.

So, I want to run offlineimap on my shell account so that to keep an updated
version of my folders in fastmail, and have access to my mail eg in case of
failure of my departmental cluster (not so infrequent).

I have looked at the example configuration files offlineimap.conf.minimal and
offlineimap.conf, the manual and the archives, but I do not find here enough
information on how to write the .offlineimaprc file suitable for this setup.
So I ask you for a pointer or a detailed explanation on the entries that I
need for this file.

In particular, I want to know how to write the mapping between the folder
names on this departamental account and those in fastmail.

Additionally, I run imapfilter as a background job and it is setup so that
every two hours it makes some filtering. This activity takes about a second,
but as I use pine as email client, I know of the conflict that arises when I
am reading mail and imapfilter operates. So, I would like to know also about
potential problems between offlineimap and imapfilter, and how to handle them.

So as to write things for this concrete case, I think that it be useful to
show the form of the entry in .pinerc to the inbox on this departamental
accout:

inbox-path={<imap-server>/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=<username>}INBOX

Regards, Alejandro Jakubi