Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2008:
Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Alejandro Jakubi <jakubi@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:58:39 -0500

On Mon May 12 2008 3:27:15 pm Alejandro Jakubi wrote:
> I have looked at the example configuration files offlineimap.conf.minimal
> and offlineimap.conf, the manual and the archives, but I do not find here
> enough information on how to write the .offlineimaprc file suitable for
> this setup. So I ask you for a pointer or a detailed explanation on the
> entries that I need for this file.

Look at the example offlineimap.conf.minimal.  Edit the "Repository Local"
section, set type=imap, and configure it using the same types of settings as
you see in "Repository Remote".

> In particular, I want to know how to write the mapping between the folder
> names on this departamental account and those in fastmail.

Well, you would have to tell us what sort of names you have on the one
account and what sort you have on fastmail.  General documentation for this
is in offlineimap.conf.  See nametrans.

> Additionally, I run imapfilter as a background job and it is setup so that
> every two hours it makes some filtering. This activity takes about a
> second, but as I use pine as email client, I know of the conflict that
> arises when I am reading mail and imapfilter operates. So, I would like to
> know also about potential problems between offlineimap and imapfilter, and
> how to handle them.

It is not a special case.  If you delete a message on one system and
imapfilter moves it on another, between a sync, you may find the message
reappears in the new location.  I can't think of any other problem right
now.