Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Mozilla crashes fixed!

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mozilla crashes fixed!
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:37:05 -0500

* Anne McCadden <ironrose@xxxxxxx> [2003 Sep 09 21:12 -0500]:
> Mozilla was very clogged with old emails, but it kept crashing when I
> would try to delete out some of the old emails and spam.  Then when I
> would restart mozilla after it crashed, then I would get another copy of
> the emails.  It was a never ending cycle.  However....when I reinstalled
> RedHat, I got all of my emails that I lost last fall, but I don't have
> the recent emails.  I selected the wrong home partition for the
> install.  All is not lost because I found some really good jokes in the
> old emails.  ~Anne

On a related note, I did a mailbox merge from an old Netscape mail
directory and a Mozilla directory for my brother this spring.
Essentially once I deleted the index files I just used cat to splice the
mbox formatted files together then restarted Mozilla Mail.  Mail
reindexed the whole works and has been working fine ever since.  The
result was all the mail in one place.  Previously, I had tried this
through Mail and all I wound up with was another mail account that was
cumbersome.

Since I use Mutt, I was a little uncertain how Moz Mail would handle my
procedure, but it came through with flying colors.  As always, back up
the files in another directory before you start just to be sure you can
start over.  I'm not sure how this would work of the mbox message files
have overlapping dates.  In this case the files had consecutive dated
mail and I concatenated them in that order.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and