Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Mozilla crashes fixed!

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mozilla crashes fixed!
From: Jeremy Johnstone <jsjohnst@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Sep 2003 22:32:19 -0500

Dustin,

I can easily help you with the below as I recently did both (only one in
reverse from kmail to Evo). For Outlook (not Outlook Express), the only
reliable way to transfer them is to setup an IMAP server somewhere. Then
what you need to do is drag and drop the email from the local folders
(you can drag whole folders at a time) to the IMAP server's folders. The
process from Outlook to IMAP is extremely slow (took me about 30 hours
to do 50,000 emails). Once you got them in the IMAP server then you need
to configure your linux client to use the IMAP server then reverse the
process. Thankfully, the second step is much much faster. To get your
email from Evo to kmail, then you need to simply move the email from the
evolution directory tree to the kmail directory. Assuming you use mbox
format, this process is very fast and quick. If you use maildir (like
me) you might have to write a bash/tcsh shell script to move the email
if you got a lot of emails in your maildir because it will be to many
arguments on the command line if you use mv * /home/user/Mail/foldername
for example. If you have questions or need further help, simply just
ask.

Jeremy