Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2002:
[linux-help] Re: FreeRadius server

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: FreeRadius server
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:03:05 -0600

On Monday 25 November 2002 10:36 pm, you wrote:
> That is vastly overstating the case.  Having played with a 100MHz Windows
> 98 box just today, I can vouch for its inattantiveness and annoyingness :-)

oh most definately!!!  before i bought my dell, i had an old P200/64MB RAM
Gateway...  win9x was a HOG on that machine, but slackware w/ WindowMaker
(and even KDE3!) beat win9x (the software that came with the computer) hands
down!

> > 2) To install a user-friendly DE/WM, email client, web browser, and word
> > processor for Linux would require several hours of my time.  For Windows,
> > it takes about an hour.

yah, the time for windows may be true, but it's because the e-mail client and
web browser are integrated into the OS... even on my P4, windows takes nearly
an hour to install... and that doesn't include ANY extra (ie: office) apps...
a full install of mandrake9 took about the same time and included almost
everything they had!  (yah know, yah gotta install everything to play with it
first!:)

> > 4) The cost of the software for Linux is free, granted.  The cost of the
> > software for Windows is probably about $45-$55 (~$30 for a Win95 license,
> > ~$15 for WordPerfect).  But the time I save by using Windows makes
> > Windows a more economical alternative very quickly.
> difficulty to apply).  Windows 95 is going to be chock full of security
> holes by now (so is Windows 98 for that matter) -- what sort of impact on

and 2000, and XP, and.... ;)

gLaNDix