Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2002:
[linux-help] Re: FreeRadius server

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: FreeRadius server
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:53:08 -0600

> Your message simply perpetuated the perception of Linux and the
> utilization of open source technology as being the stomping grounds for
> boorish, elitist, and exclusionary geeks.

Not that my opinion necissarily reflects that of the group at large, or vice
versa...

And I'm not trying to make anyone mad here... but since you're assuming that
my goals are the same as yours when answering questions on this list, let me
state my own opinion on the matter.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with being a member of a boorish, elitist,
and exclusionary geek group.

What I do _not_ want to be a member of is a group that is hostile to
outsiders and makes it intentionally difficult for others to become part of
the group.

I've never been a champion of making Linux more "main stream," and if my
reply to someone's question on this list or any other drives them away from
Linux and to a competing force, because they are not willing to put forth
any of their own effort to solve a problem, then I feel no reason to
appologize.

Furthermore, aside from whether Linux should grow or not, or how it should
grow, the driving force behind my initial reply to the post was more that of
"Teach a man to fish..."

If the Linux userbase is going to grow, I'd rather it grow with knowledgable
people willing to do their own work, rather than with lazy people who expect
others to do the work for them.

-- Jonathan