Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2002:
[linux-help] Re: FreeRadius server

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: FreeRadius server
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:59:15 -0600

I do believe that, and as John elaborted, I believe it's true with ANYTHING,
not just Linux.

It's true with Windows 2000--If you're not willing to learn to use Windows
2000, you shouldn't be using it.

It's true with automobiles--if you're not willing to learn the rules of the
road, you shouldn't be driving.

It's true with toasters--if you're not willing to learn to use a toaster
safely, you shouldn't be using one.

Etc, etc.

As for, do I agree with Matt's quote?  I already addressed that.  My opinion
could possibly be summed up (in part) in that statement.

> > > If someone isn't willing to do their own legwork, they shouldn't be
> > > using Linux anyway.
>
> Come off it, Jon.  That's crap and you know it.  Unless, of course you
REALLY
> DO believe that (quoting Matt here) "Linux (is) the stomping grounds for
> boorish, elitist, and exclusionary geeks."

I do believe that, and as John elaborted, I believe it's true with ANYTHING,
not just Linux.

It's true with Windows 2000--If you're not willing to learn to use Windows
2000, you shouldn't be using it.

It's true with automobiles--if you're not willing to learn the rules of the
road, you shouldn't be driving.

It's true with toasters--if you're not willing to learn to use a toaster
safely, you shouldn't be using one.

Etc, etc.

As for, do I agree with Matt's quote?  I already addressed that.  My opinion
could possibly be summed up (in part) in that statement.

> If my mother wanted a computer, I would give her a Linux box, and show her
how
> to use it.  She couldn't set it up.  She wouldn't know how to do her "own
> legwork".  She would simply use it as a means to get something done, and
if
> there was a problem, she would ask for help.  This is the same situation
that
> millions of office workers find themselves in every day.  They sit in
front of
> a computer and run it, but they couldn't set it up to save their lives.
But
> these are the people who will be running Linux if Linux is going to be
more
> than a footnote in a book about the history of computing.

And if your mother asked how to set up a FreeRadius server, I'd give her the
same answer.

> I have run Linux (Slackware) for years now.  I have helped friends switch
when
> they wanted to quit making Bill Gates richer, or simply wanted a more
stable
> system.  I have put Linux/Samba servers in offices that ran Windows on all
the
> desktops, and people have noticed that things just "worked better".  Yes,
you
> do have to hold their hand for a while.  Just remember that every little
bit
> helps spread the word.

What word are we spreading?

> It seems to me that if we really want to promote Linux, if we really want
> Linux to replace Windows, then the idea that Linux is only a toy for geeks
> will have to go away.

Again, you're assuming I want something I don't want.  I like Windows--for
certian, limited applications.  I prefer Windows as a desktop OS, simply b/c
it's lower maintenence than Linux.  When I have time to put into a desktop
OS that is "nicer", I have been known to invest my time in a Linux
desktop--and undoubtedly will again.  But Windiws, as a desktop OS, is a
much lower-maintenence OS currently.

I don't personally care if Linux replaces Windows.

Why am I using Linux, then, you may ask?

I'll tell you.  Because it works, and works well.

I've never adopted the "Lets take over the world, and put M$ in its place"
mentality, and hope I never do.  Quite honestly, I think that's an unhealthy
attitude.  It's hostile, and not helpful.  I use Linux where Linux works
best.  I use Windows where Windows works best.

And I'd never give my mom a computer with Linux.

-- Jonathan