Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2002:
[linux-help] Re: FreeRadius server

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: FreeRadius server
From: "James O. Harms" <joharms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:07:20 -0600

Jonathan Hall wrote:

> I do believe that, and as John elaborted, I believe it's true with ANYTHING,
> not just Linux.
>
> It's true with Windows 2000--If you're not willing to learn to use Windows
> 2000, you shouldn't be using it.

COMMENT: That would eliminate the majority of Windows users, and the "cube
farms" of business and industry would have few inhabitants.  There are people
in business who run a specific program every day.  They know enough about it
to do the common stuff the program was designed to do, and that's ALL they
know.  Are you saying these people aren't productive?  Evidently their
employers think they are, or they wouldn't have jobs.  Are you saying they
shouldn't be using Windows OR Linux?

> It's true with automobiles--if you're not willing to learn the rules of the
> road, you shouldn't be driving.

COMMENT: Same reply.  That would eliminate the majority of automobile users.
Which I will agree would probably be a good thing.  If you have any doubts
about this, just take a drive on the freeways in/around Wichita.

<snip>

> As for, do I agree with Matt's quote?  I already addressed that.

COMMENT: In which case I retract my statement.  I still think it's crap, but I
can't say you know it.  I find it sad that this comes from the president of
the major Linux advocacy group (at least I think that was one reason for
founding ACLUG) in this area.  Which may help explain why there has been very
little Linux advocacy of late.

> > It seems to me that if we really want to promote Linux, <snip> then
> > the idea that Linux is only a toy for geeks will have to go away.
>
> Again, you're assuming I want something I don't want.

COMMENT: You're right.  I assumed that.  On this point we disagree.

> And I'd never give my mom a computer with Linux.

COMMENT: If your mom was a heavy gamer, or needed a program only available on
Windows, I could understand that statement.  I have always believed that if
you want to run Windows programs - run them on Windows.  I consider projects
to develop emulators a waste of time.  If she was getting started with
computers, and wanted something to send email to her grandchildren, write
letters, maybe even do some financial stuff, then Linux would be fine, and she
would'nt know the difference.  "NEVER" is a strong word.  I find it sad that
you are unwilling even to consider this an option.

--joh