Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Linux on Network

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux on Network
From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:37:44 -0600 (CST)

> Note that users on the two machines are assumed to have the same
> UID's and GID's.  So if user bbales has UID 1000 on the server but
> has UID 500 on the other machine, then you can only write files
> remotely from the other machine while logged in as root (this
> restriction may also apply to reading, depending on the file
> permissions).  I ran into that problem when running Red Hat on one
> machine and Debian on the other (I ended using scp more often than
> NFS for file transfers).

I would recomend using scp. Especially with multiple computers. One nice
feature is that (while slowing it down) it is host transparent, and user
transparent. from host1 logged on as foo the command
scp boo@host2:/somefile moo@host3:/someotherfile
works, because it assumes that without a host: it is localhost:
This is useful when your routing tables aren't working right.

> There may also be a way to access a Samba or other SMB server
> remotely from Linux, but I don't know how.

In addition to mounting it, an ftp like interface is provied by smbclient.