Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Linux on Network

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux on Network
From: Matt Campbell <mattcampbell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 21:56:33 -0600

Have you tried the Network File System (NFS)?  Under that system
you run an NFS server on the server machine and write a configuration
file called /etc/exports that lists which parts of the file system
can be accessed remotely, which machines have access, and what
level of access they have.  I don't remember the format, but you
can look at the exports(5) man page.

Then on your other Linux machine, you mount directory trees on the
server like this:

mount -t nfs server:/dir /mnt/point

where "server" is the host name or IP address of your server, "/dir"
is the root directory of the part of the file system you want to
access, and "/mnt/point" is the mount point on the other machine.
You can also make entries for NFS mounts in /etc/fstab.

Note that users on the two machines are assumed to have the same
UID's and GID's.  So if user bbales has UID 1000 on the server but
has UID 500 on the other machine, then you can only write files
remotely from the other machine while logged in as root (this
restriction may also apply to reading, depending on the file
permissions).  I ran into that problem when running Red Hat on one
machine and Debian on the other (I ended using scp more often than
NFS for file transfers).

There may also be a way to access a Samba or other SMB server
remotely from Linux, but I don't know how.

Hope this helps,
--
Matt Campbell
E-mail and MSN Messenger:  mattcampbell@xxxxxxxxx