Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Linux on Network

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux on Network
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:13:12 -0600

Thanks for the help, James.

james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Either do it by hand, each time you boot the machine, via:
> mount -t smbfs -o (options) \\smbserver\share /mnt/point

Made a directory /mnt/smb and tried:
mount -t smbfs -o username=bruce,password=(MY PW) \\sam\home /mnt/smb
Got back a help page that said use forward slashes.  Tried:
mount -t smbfs -o username=bruce,password=(MY PW) //sam/home /mnt/smb
Got back "ERRSRV - (Invalid network name in tree connect.)
Tried: mount -t smbfs -o guest //sam/home/bruce /mnt/smb
Got back "Bad password. "

The SMB-HOWTO talked about smbclient and I tried that and got as far as "Bad
Password."

rlogin works - but is also worthless for transferring a file as far as I can
determine.

The SMB-HOWTO also talked about smbmount, but no matter how I tried to use it
the best I could get was "Bad Password"

Since the windows machines use encrypted passwords, the server is set up for
them.  I begin to think that is the problem, but don't know how to get
around it.

Thanks again for the help,
bruce
--
Actually, it's quite difficult to persuade people
that you are bombing them for their own good.