Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Linux on Network

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux on Network
From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:02:11 -0600 (CST)

> >From my Win98 machine, parts of my Linux Samba server are mapped to drives
> >I, J,
> and K, so I can treat these parts of the server just like they were on the
> local
> machine.  I can read, move, delete, save, etc.
>
> I can ping and telnet from my Linux box to the server, but how can I save to
> and
> read these server files from my Linux host?  Need to do it both in text mode
> and
> with Gnome.  Redhat 7.2.

Either do it by hand, each time you boot the machine, via:
mount -t smbfs -o (options) \\smbserver\share /mnt/point

or put a line in /etc/fstab like:
\\smbserver\share       /mnt/point      smbfs (options) 0 0

with (options) replaced by the mount options, generally workgroup=$WG,guest(if
no password) or passwordd= (be aware it will be in the open this way)

James L