Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Kernel compile

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Kernel compile
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 04:56:27 -0500 (CDT)

instead, you'd do:

make menuconfig (or xconfig)
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/boot/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-x.xx.xxx

what i usually did was run it like this:
make xconfig
make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && \
make modules install

then install the kernel and update my lilo.conf to point to the correct
kernel (i have vmlinuz.current and vmlinuz.old as symlinks pointing to the
current kernel i'm using and the old kernel i'm replaceing,
respectively...  this way, you just update the symlinks and your lilo.conf
points to vmlinuz.current and .old and you don't have to remember to run
lilo! : ^ )

hope this helps!
gLaNDix

<<< lloydix.2y.net FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Jul 5 06:16:31 CDT 2001
glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LLOYDIX >>>