Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Kernel compile

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Kernel compile
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 18:31:21 -0500

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 06:18:56PM -0500, Bruce Bales wrote:

> I'll have to find out what the error is.
> bruce
> Weqaar Ali Janjua wrote:
>
> > did u run lilo command after updating lilo?? run lilo -v to see the output.
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> linear
> default=linux
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18
>  label=linux
>  read-only
>  root=/dev/hda5
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
>  label=linux-old
>  read-only
>  root=/dev/hda5        <======  this is line 17

I'm curious if there might be some oddball character in the file instead
of a linefeed terminating line 15 or 16?  If you can use an editor that
shows the character value when the cursor is on (the editor built into
Midnight Commander can do this, perhaps Vim as well with the right
settings...) you might see a value other than 0x0A (decimal 10) at the
end of the line.  I suppose this could be why lilo is puking.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | heartily, but good